riting reviews is something I love to do. Each review is this delightful, challenging, complex sculpture built on the foundation of someone else’s art. I love the relatively short word limits and the way my brain has to turn inside out to understand what these other writers are working to do. Review-writing sharpens my own writing abilities.”
Penny regularly reviews books for The Quoddy Tides (the easternmost newspaper in the United States!):
- Time on the Ocean, by Theo Dorgan, January 2015.
- Love and Fury, by Richard Hoffman, September 2014.
- This is Paradise, by Suzanne Strempek Shea, August 2014.
- Sanctuary of Illness, by Thomas Larson, June 2014.
- Pigs Can’t Swim, by Helen Peppe, April 2014
- The Wildlife Friendly Vegetable Gardener, by Tammi Hartung, February 2014
- Life Among Giants, by Bill Roorbach, December 2013
- When We Were the Kennedys, by Monica Wood, October 2013.
- Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel, Aug. 2013.
- August Gale, by Barbara Walsh, May 2012.
- This Life Is In Your Hands, by Melissa Coleman, Sept. 2012.
Penny’s reviews have appeared on The Review Review:
- Review of China Grove, Winter, 2013
- Review of Antioch Review, Summer, 2013
- Review of Guernica, Spring, 2013
- Review of Sun, Spring, 2013
Other reviews include:
- The Wildlife Friendly Vegetable Gardener, by Tammi Hartung, American Gardener Magazine, April 2014.